What You May Know About Pest Control for the Cold Winter Months
Winter is a wonderful time of year, here at ePest Solutions we know that nothing beats snuggling in under a blanket with a warm cup of coco. A great thing about winter is that the cold weather causes many of the common insects to go dormant for a few months. The down side is that the lack of bugs may encourage you to ignore pest control. Unfortunately, even though many bugs go dormant, there are still some pests that remain a serious issue during the wintertime.
Three common pests that remain a problem during the winter months are Bed Bugs, Head Lice, and Rodents.
MUST KNOW DIY PEST CONTROL SOLUTIONS FOR COMMON COLD WEATHER PESTS!
These three common pests are even more likely to seek the safety of your home during the winter to avoid the more extreme temperatures they would encounter outdoors. Since there is never a good time to have pests as house guests, it’s important to know how to combat the critters when you uncover their presence.
How to handle Lice:
- First, don’t freak out! They are gross, but not dangerous.
- The most effective way to get rid of lice is combing, to remove live lice as well as eggs.
- Use the over-the-counter or homeopathic treatments of your choice as recommended to help kill lice.
- Wash materials that have come in contact with the infected individual, vacuum floors and furniture, and seal non-washable items in a bag for two weeks to prevent the infestations from returning.
How to handle Bed Bugs:
- Check bedding for fecal stains, egg cases, and molted endoskeletons.
- Treat effected bedding in a drier for an hour at a temperature of at least 113 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Determine whether the problem can be managed on your own or if you should call in professionals to ensure the infestation is properly eradicated.
How to handle Rodents:
- Inspect house for evidence of rodents, places such as basements, attics, and crawlspaces.
- Determine the entry points and seal them off to prevent the arrival of newcomers.
- Set up traps.
- Check traps regularly.
Need a source for your DYI supplies? ePest Solutions can help with all wintertime pests and prevention!
The trouble with pests is that there is no foolproof way to avoid a problem. Often it comes down to prevention efforts and proper treatment should a problem arise. Whether you’re a hardcore do-it-yourselfer or more than happy to call in the pros, the key is to know what the problem is and what you can do to help rid your home of the pests!