The most important thing to remember with winterization is that as much fluid as
possible needs to be evacuated from the system and nozzle circuit. This action will ensure
that, in the event of a hard freeze, any trapped fluid has room to expand as it freezes
without placing pressure on a component. It’s also important to flush the system and
nozzle circuit with as much fresh water as possible to eliminate any lingering chemical
residue. While some installers in colder climates choose to use potable anti-freeze or
windshield washer fluid to flush the system and nozzle circuit, the most important thing
is to remove as much fluid from the system as possible. Now is also a good time to clean
and inspect the suction filters on the unit.
Please note that in 2008 MistAway Systems, Inc. will not warranty any equipment
that has been damaged as a result of a lack of or improper winterization.
Drum based systems:
• Flush pump (and agitation valve if equipped) with clean water:
- Fill 10 gallon bucket with fresh water and position next to unit.
- Lift drum lid (with mounted assembly) from drum and rotate/reposition so that
pump intake line (and agitation j-tube if equipped) are submerged inside 10 gallon
- Activate an extended manual mist. The mist cycle will further flush the pump and
nozzle circuit, and the agitation cycle will flush the agitation valve (on Gen 1.3
systems so equipped)
- Remove intake line (and agitation j-tube if equipped) from bucket, disconnect
nozzle circuit line, and activate a dry (i.e., suction line not in any fluid) manual
mist to clear water from valve and pump.
- Reposition drum lid and assembly back on drum.
• Unplug unit and wrap power cord around assembly.
• Replace waterproof cover.
• Flush coupler, dosing pump and insecticide flow line.
- 1. Screw Smart Cap or PRO-CAP onto a vented bottle filled with either clean water
or potable water anti-freeze.
- 2. Execute a MANUAL CHARGE to activate the dosing pump. Navigate to INS in
MAINTENANCE Menu. On Gen III, press all three (►▲ ▼) arrow buttons
simultaneously for a period of 5 seconds. On Gen II, hold down the SELECT
knob and the AUTO ON/OFF button simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- 3. DOSE and a countdown will be displayed. The unit will run the dosing pump for
an extended period, flushing insecticide out of the pump and line. You may
interrupt the dose after 2 minutes.
- 4. Remove Smart Cap from bottle and snap the cap alone into Smart Coupler.
Execute a MANUAL CHARGE to pump air through and thus evacuate fluid from
insecticide flow line. Interrupt DOSE after 2 minutes.
Flush batch tank, pump and agitation valve with clean water.
- Drain the batch tank. (MAINTENANCE Menu, DRN, Press Green ► button
(Gen III) or SELECT knob (Gen II) for 5 seconds.) Press STOP when pressure
falls. You may wish to lift the right front corner of the system slightly to help
evacuate as much fluid as possible from the mixing vessel.
- Run Inspect to flush the batch tank and nozzle circuit (MAINTENANCE Menu,
INS, Press Green ► button or SELECT knob for 5 seconds.) If zone kit, run
INS1 and INS2 to flush both nozzle circuits.
- Run DRN to drain the batch tank again.
• Evacuate remaining fluid from inlet water line and pump discharge line.
- Disconnect nozzle circuit from unit.
- Disconnect water supply line.
- On Gen III, use WINT function to hold inlet supply valve and agitation valve
open for 30 seconds to allow any remaining trapped fluid to drain. WINT is in the
MAINTENANCE Menu. Hold Green ► button for 5 seconds to trigger.
- On Gen II, use the inspect (INS) function to open the inlet supply valve (system
will think it is trying to fill the tank with water).
- With the valves open (Gen III displaying OPEN, Gen II displaying FILL), lift the
left (Gen III) or right (Gen II) side of unit about 4″ to let water run out of valve.
You may also wish to blow some air into the water fitting (with the valves open)
to ensure no water remains trapped in the unit.
• Unplug unit, coil power cord and stow under unit.