Bed bugs in your home can be extremely annoying and particularly disheartening if you have experienced the itchy red welts commonly accompanied with an infestation. What’s even more frustrating is that these pests can be incredibly difficult to get rid of without the proper tools. With recent rises in infestations across America, it pays to know the most effective ways on how to kill bed bugs once and for all.
The Bed Bug Epidemic
Bed bugs have been a serious annoyance for people around the world, but the bed bug epidemic has been a continuously growing problem in America for the past few years. These small, blood sucking parasites can live in your home, among furniture, and in nearly every room of your home for years if not treated properly. U.S. cities like New York and Philadelphia have fallen victim to widespread infestations of epic proportions recently.
Do’s and Don’ts with these Pests
Learning how to kill bed bugs effectively means that you must be careful in the way you deal with them. The following is a list of do’s and don’ts regarding eradication of these uninvited invaders:
- Do remove all clutter and excess items. Store other clean items in airtight containers.
- Do regularly inspect potentially infected areas both before and after treatment.
- Do wash all linens and clothing on a hot water setting, and then dry for at least 20 minutes.
- Do consider a regimented bed bug control kit as opposed to applying multiple methods
- Don’t use foggers or bombs. These bugs are not affected by these and they may spread as a result.
- Don’t relocate your items from the infested room. This only spreads the infestation
- Don’t discard infested furniture, clothing, etc. Treatment most likely can spare these.
Don’t assume that bites are the only way to detect bed bugs. Many people do not have visible bite marks as a result of an infestation.