No matter what the season – summer, spring, winter or fall – roaches never seem to take a holiday at all. Roaches come in many shapes and sizes and thrive without much attention. There are simple steps to roaches infestation control that you can take to minimize the opportunity for roaches to flourish in your household. In this article, we discuss ways to keep roaches under control for the do it yourself cockroach killer.
There are over 3,500 species of roaches, but some are more likely to be the pests that invade your home. There are only about 12 species of roaches that are the regular invaders of homes. Roaches belong to a suborder of insects called Blattaria, which means “to shun the light.” The actual word “cockroach” comes from the Spanish word “cucaracha,” which means “crazy bug.” Texas can boast the most cockroach species of any other state, having as many as 30-35 species. Common household roaches are German, Banded, American, Oriental, and Woods Cockroaches.
Roaches are not only unsightly, but their excrement and decomposing bodies are triggers for allergies and asthma. Cockroaches can also carry diseases like dysentery, typhoid and poliomyelitis, as well as gastroenteritis. It is therefore imperative for your safety and sanity to keep cockroach infestations under control.
Follow these quick and easy steps to minimize cockroaches in your home:
- Make sure your home is sealed from cracks and crevices that can allow any roaches in your home in the first place
- Check weather stripping, windows and screens, and utility entry points
- Caulk where you can to seal any opportunity to let the outside pests in
- Check any pipes for even the smallest leak
- Keep garbage bins sealed and away from your home
- Cut back any flowers and brush in direct contact with your home
- Limit access to all food AND water sources for the roach
- Store pet food in sealed plastic or metal containers
- Keep your dishes washed and dried daily
- Do not leave water in the sink overnight
- Wipe down counter tops as soon as you are finished using them
- Put trash out nightly
- Enforce NO FOOD restriction in every room except for the kitchen/dining area
Cockroach killer and treatment options for a roach infestation include:
- Glue or “sticky” traps that can be used to monitor for any cockroach activity and species identification
- Boric based products that can be left on tops of cabinets or behind appliances to treat the stray few that wander into your home
- Insecticide sprays on a seasonal basis to stop cockroaches from becoming a full fledge infestation
- Gel based products can be used inside lower cabinets and crevices that may be allowing entry
- Cockroach bait traps set out seasonally can also provide effective long term control solutions
Following a regular regimen using the above combination of prevention, monitoring and seasonal treatments can keep your home cockroach free. Your family will thank you for it.
About the Author
ePestSolutions.com can help in Roach Infestation Control with their full line of professional control supplies, sprays, dusts, aerosols, Insect Growth Regulators and pesticides for the Do-It-Yourself Pest Control homeowner, to kill and control every aspect of cockroaches like a professional.