Stop the Scratching with
How to kill Fleas!
This is a short helpful article on proper flea control techniques for homeowners, includes use of flea aerosols, insect growth regulators, liquid concentrate insecticides.
- There are over 1600 species of fleas, but fortunately for humans we on encounter a few.
- Fleas infest birds, mammals and are particularly abundant on rodents.
- Most common species affecting humans is the cat flea.
Describing the Flea
- The bodies of fleas are well adapted to their particular life. Fleas are small, wingless insects that are flattened from side to side. Adults are brownish-black in color and their legs are long and modified for jumping. They can jump 7 to 8 inches vertically and 14 to 15 inches horizontally.
- A female flea can lay 4 to 8 eggs after each blood meal and can lay several hundred eggs during her life. Most eggs are laid on their host, but because they are no glued in place they can be easily dropped to the ground or in bedding, creating an infestation.
- Eggs hatch into larvae in 2 days to 3 weeks, depending on the temperature, humidity. The larvae then feed on organic material and feces from adult fleas for about 8 days. Flea larvae are very active and can be found in floor cracks, rugs, upholstery, bedding, furniture, and kennels.
- Pupal period may last 5 days to 1 year, new adults remain inside the cocoons until the proper stimulus initiates their emergence, vibrations and pressure.
Successful Flea Control Methods
- Treatment of infested animal, indoors and outdoors is required in most cases to be completely effective for flea control, doing the job right the first time will prevent further flea outbreaks.
- Pets bedding should be washed and treated with products label specifically, such as Precor 2000 and Ultracide. Pets should be treated with Petcor, concentrate on behind ears, between legs and around tails.
- Outdoor treatment of areas like garages, porches, and yard should be treated thoroughly to prevent reinfestation. Do not allow pets into areas during or after treatment has completely dried. Products such as Dragnet, Tengard, and Talstar granules are great products for use on yard and exterior treatment.
- Indoor treatment for fleas requires a good vacuuming to pick up any flea eggs and larvae. Pay special attention to cracks and crevices, baseboards, rugs and under furniture. Afterwards the bags should be disposed of by placing it in an air tight container and discarded.
ePestSolutions has created very specific and effective flea kits for all your needs.
Insect Growth Regulator(IGR): Products such as Precor or Nylar
Some of the newest technology on the market is insect growth regulators which mimic the effect of growth hormones of insects, basically a type of birth control, stopping the life cycle in it tracks. These products are usually recommended for controlling fleas, roaches and bedbugs and can be added to liquid concentrated suspension insecticides, like suspend, talstar, demon, cy-kick, bifen, cyonara and tengard.
Granules: Granular formulation of some of our favoriute insecticides on the market, talstar, and bifen make it easy to apply a even layer of insecticide in your yard.
Aerosols: Aerosol formulas are in a great ready to use formulation to control just about any pest. There is no mess and no equipment necessary, and helps you get the product in sometimes hard to reach areas. Our personal preferences are Ultracide and Precor2000 both contain a residual insecticide with added bonus of IGR included in these easy to use product. Done right homeowners can get 7 months of flea control in every can.
Liquid Concentrated Suspensions (SC) and Wettable Powder (WP): Concentrated formulas of all professional pest control products in both liquid and powder formulations These products are designed to be mixed with water and sprayed inside and outside the structure. In most cases use of less than 1 ounce of SC per gallon of water is all it takes.
Epestsolutions supplies professional organic, natural, and synthetic pest control products (baits or insecticides) to control almost every type of pest including spiders, ants, roaches, mosquitoes, fleas and flies. We provide aerosols, dusts, granules, and bait formulations for the do it yourselfer .